Are you considering installing your own aluminum fence? Here are some tips on how to get started with your fencing project! Are you hoping to put up a fence and looking to save money by installing it yourself? Here are some of the steps you will need to do to make sure your fence is safe and secure, adding protection and style to your property.
Step 1: Choose the SiteYour first step is to choose the site for your fence. Is your fence going to surround your entire property, or is it going to designate off a specific area within your property? Do you want it visible from the road? Adding a fence will change the look and “feel” of your property, so it is essential that you make those fencing decisions based on accurate information before you start digging holes in the ground. One of the first pieces of information you need to know is where your underground cables and pipes are. Your utility companies will give you this information. You need to ask them where any underground wires or pipes are located and how deep they are located, so you do not accidentally damage them while digging holes for your DIY fence installation. If you are on city water and sewer, they can let you know the whereabouts of those pipes, but if you are not, you may need to check for septic lines. If you did not install the septic system and are unsure about the pipes that belong to it, check with your local government officials. Many times, these systems need approval to be installed, and this may involve a blueprint or survey showing where it is buried.
Step 2: Gather SuppliesYou will need:
- Enough string to completely surround the area you want to be fenced.
- Clothespins, or something similar to mark the places you will put posts, as many clothespins as you intend to have fence posts.
- A post hole digger.
- A shovel
- A level.
- Gravel for the post holes (2-3 shovels full per post)
- Stakes to brace each post
- As many fence posts and crosspieces or panels as you need to cover your fence area. (These pieces can wait until after you complete Step 3.)
- Fencing accessories